.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Black Bean Chili

I made a very good chili today. It's more like a stew but it's spicy and has black beans so I can imagine it being called chili (except by purists). No need to use these ingredients exactly but since it came out so good, I had to post the recipe.

1 onion (diced)
3 red potatos (diced)
1/2 or a whole green bell pepper (chopped)
1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
2 carrots (finely chopped)

1 each dried jalapeƱo, dried mild chili, roasted dried chili (ground)
black pepper (ground)
cumin seed (ground)
black beans and the water they were cooked in.
1 can tomatoes (well drained of their juice)

salt to taste (see note below)

Saute the onions in the pressure cooker pot in some oil. Add the rest of the vegetables along with the tomatoes, the chilies, black pepper, the black bean water the cumin (I used some from a jar that my housemate had). Pour black bean water to a depth 2/3 that of the other food. Turn up the heat, cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, turn off the heat and let it sit for a while. When you open the pressure cooker, remove a few cups of it, blend it smooth (with a handful of tortilla chip crumbs) and reintegrate it to thicken the sauce. Add the black beans.

It goes well with quinoa.

As for the tomato, I used the drained juice in a batch of tomato sauce so if you don't have some drained tomatoes around try using a chopped fresh tomato or any tomato product, even a scoop of salsa. Using the tomato juice would make it sweeter than I would want it.

A Note about Salt
I spend way too much time seeking canned tomatoes without salt added so I can control the salt content. That is also one of the reasons I buy dry black beans instead of cans. So you will need to add less or no salt depending on your ingredients.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?