.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, November 27, 2006

Hemp Milk

I am going to try to make hemp milk and then try to make it regularly. I currently keep brick packs of soy milk in my office and use it on cereal. I want to try something new and am attracted to hemp for various nutrition advantages and the ability to easily process it without cooking it. Making hemp milk will also reduce waste. According to the recipe below a 10oz foil pouch will produce 5 brick packs worth of product. That also lightens the shopping cart load. It will cost less than buying soymilk and cost more than making soymilk but is far less work. Making soymilk involves soaking the beans, grinding, boiling and straining. Since the seeds are hulled, the hard fibrous part has been removed and there is no need for soaking or straining. It is not necessary to boil hemp so the product is live and raw.

It also sounds like tons of fun.

In a one quart mason jar, add:
1/3 cup hulled hemp seeds
1 cup water
some raisins or some other sweetener (optional)

Screw the blender base (the cap with the blades) onto mason jar and fit into blender as normal. Blend well. Add water until total volume is 1 quart. Shake and serve or store chilled.

FAQ

Q: Where did you get this idea?
A: I tasted hemp milk and liked it. I came across this recipe and decided I wanted to try it. I scaled it up slightly to make a quart at a time and incorporated this blender + mason jar trick to save some cleaning.

Q: Why raisins and how many should I use?
A: I currently pour unsweetened soymilk over shredded wheat and raisins. For this recipe, I decided to move some raisins up the timeline. I imagine you'll need less raisins if you blend them in than if you ate them with the finish product because the blending, soaking and shaking will probably allow better distribution of the sugar. Start with a clump and experiment to determine for yourself.

Q: Have you tried this yet?
A: No, not yet. I'll update if I need to adjust the proportions after I try it out.

Q: Are you excited?
A: So excited.

UPDATE: Hemp Milk is very strong tasting. It has a nutty, grassy flavor. I need to work on the recipe. Stay tuned.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?