.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Broth Bombs

Here is a crazy idea that came to me while in Chiang Mai. I haven't tried it yet but I want to collect my thoughts while they're together. Let me know if you try it before me.

In a pressure cooker, chop and add lemon grass, ginger, lime leaves, chilies, cilantro, green onions, mushrooms, leak, carrots, celery. Add water and pressure cook for 50 minutes.

Once cooked, filter out and compost the veggies. Return to the heat and reduce the broth down as much as possible. Here is where volume and degree of concentration will require some instinct.

Cool and separate into small amounts, single servings, in little cups. Add fresh slices of lemon grass, chilies, ginger and whole lime leaves to the cups. Freeze.

On a rainy day, boil some noodles of your choice, drain the noodles but save some of the water. Add a frozen broth bomb to the the water, simmer and stir until melted and dissolved, add some fresh spinach, some tofu or even bring it to the boil and cook some shrimp in it. Add the noodles back to the broth, add salt and maybe some sugar to taste. Bask.

Comments:
Pretty awesome. Often people use ice-cube trays for the little cups...pesto cubes, demiglace cubes, etc :)
 
If I can get the broth concentrated enough to fit one serving along with the other herbs/veggies in an ice cube, I'd go for it. I used the ice cube tray the last time I made vegetable broth.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?