.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Story Time

I spent some time this morning with some kindergarteners today. I tried to explain the Landscapes Initiative to them. I showed them some photos from our Mount Whitney Climb. I also showed them this, a 3D rendering of DEM data for Mount Shasta. I explained how it was a drawing made with numbers. I had everyone stand up and crowd around me in descending height order. I asked their teacher what we looked like, "a mountain" she said. I then explain how our heads could be like dots and the computer could fill in between the points and draw a mountain.

I summarized data art as telling a story using numbers. We proceeded to story time by drawing numbers on the board, imagining what each number may look like and making a story out of those objects. We got as far as 13, there was a stray 19 in there somewhere.

There were three trampolines. Can you guess the corresponding numbers?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?