.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Time Machine



This is my house. Living in it (with it) inspired the nature of this blog and I realized I should say a little about the house itself. Coincidentally, my interest in the aesthetic that this place exudes was peaking just as I happened upon it. It has redwood frames, plaster walls, hardwood floors, windows with pulleys and wavy glass and picture molding, ahh the picture molding. It has central heating, meaning there is one floor/wall furnace in the center of the house. The best part is the cellar, yes a cellar; it has door that opens up from the floor! It was built in 1918 and I feel like it is some kind of time machine. We play records, hang out the wash, pickle, rock on the rocking chair and all kinds of keen stuff. Maybe my aforementioned developing aesthetic for the olde tyme is more the reason, rather than the time travel ability of the house but I can't be sure.

Either way, little feats of frontier ingenuity like using a curtain in a doorway to create heating zones just tickle me; especially given the digitized nature of my professional and artistic work.

Comments:
I know exactly what you're saying. My house was built in the Thirties, right along with most of the others on my street, and I too feel like I step back in time when I walk through the door.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?