.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Oldest Spice

I've gotten into black pepper recently. I've always used black pepper, it's nothing new. I've just been enjoying it a lot more lately. I noticed it in a great new potato chip that I tried recently, I put it in salads, I grind it over potatoes and steamed vegetables and I love it in sandwiches. Again, nothing new but the feeling I get from it is great and new. The thing about black pepper is that it sneaks in a little spicy in an otherwise non-spicy meal. I kind of enjoy biting into a the occasionally too coarsely ground piece, a little "hello" from the spice world.

I used to think it was boring. I remember asking a chef-in-training about it, hoping to hear something exciting about it. All he could say is that it's the oldest spice known to mankind. That didn't really mean much to me back then but living in a time machine and all... now I think that is really cool. I guess I couldn't really have begun to guess the oldest spice before it was told to me.

It reminds me of this comic I read about life's little victories, this isn't really a victory but a simple pleasure that is everywhere. It must be how reality TV fans feel.

Comments:
Black pepper adds an interesting spicy and smoky note to everything. I love black pepper.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?