.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, April 12, 2004

Mmmm Toast

The flavor of toasted, and roasted foods has recently come to the forefront of my attention lately. The burnt flavor that made me shun the house coffee at work is now an intriguing roasty depth that graces my mug more often.

Toasted almonds are a treat. If anything releases a rich mellow sweetness under dry heat, it is the mighty almond. Berkeley Bowl is my only known source of bulk unsalted toasted almonds.

The toastiness of the malted grain is the first thing I taste in beer these days. I really like the balance of toastiness and bitter in amber and the more toasty I want, the darker I go.

Some of it may be a particular salt, sea salt perhaps that adds a body that resembles a very subtle smokiness present in a new cheese at Trader Joe's as well as the hummus at Kabob House in Santa Clara.

I guess it started with Espresso Di Roma coffee beans from Trader Joe's. While excellent for espresso it is also amazing in a french press. The smooth flavor leaves the roasted goodness free to meander through your senses.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?