.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, March 25, 2004

Leaves of Green

I eat a lot of spinach. I got tired of lettuce that was never quite green enough and went bad too quickly so I gave up on it and started buying and growing spinach. I knew it had more nutrients but I just learned that it simply has more of everything. I get so much Folate!

The hardest thing about spinach is washing it well enough. Gritty spinach makes for unhappy chewing. That's a tricky process, the best way is to put it in a bowl at least the size of a small mixing bowl, enough so you're hand can fit in it. Add a handful of spinach to the bowl and fill with water. Stick you hand in and grab the spinach gently and slosh it up and down, washing away the dirt. Lift it out and rinse in in a strainer. Spin or Shake dry.

For particular rippled leaves like the ones from my garden you may need to rub the under side of the leaves while under the water, a soft brush may help as well.

Spinach is excellent in a salad with a little bit of dressing and or some feta cheese, it is also good steamed or sauteed in a little oil with garlic. You can also sautee it and bake it on a pizza.




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?