.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Leaves of Grass

This rant inspired by unable2spel

I considered a push mower but then I realized that having a lush English-Nobility inspired lawn is not my long term goal. Lawn requires so much water and chemicals, it is an environmental nightmare. I do want to shorten the weeds such that I don't get arrested or attract rattlers. Investing in a gasoline engine involves maintenance and wars and they are expensive, and at $90, a push mower seemed also too expensive for a temporary solution that would also be a pain to operate. My father suggested, considering my lawn is the size of the chunk of grass that a sloppy golf swing kicks up, that I get a weed whacker. Officially known as a line trimmer, this $25 electric tool puts technology on my side and not it my way. I buzz the lawn every now and then and will do so until Jen and I design a landscaping scheme.

It makes sense to use native plants since they are accustomed to the sparse rain and they know how to overcome weeds, they've been doing it long before I have. I just learned the term Cottage Garden, I will have to look into it. On a related odd note, I noticed some rain drops this morning and for the first time ever, I was happy to see them. I don't like rain but now it means free water falling upon my land, ah useful nature.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?