.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, July 28, 2003

Compost

I've been composting for some time and I can't say I'm happy with the results. First there were flies. Lots of flies, so I cut a piece of wood to cover the woodent planter I was using. The flies still snuck in and out and eventually, there were baby flies. Larvae sliding all around, it was pretty gross. I read up on it and supposedly, in the larval phase, they are beneficial, like worms crawling around in soil. The problem is that I am breeding pests. I feed them my scraps and give them shelter, this is not what I want. Maybe I should leave it uncovered in the sun one of these hot days. That'll show the little bastards.

A betters solution is to get a composting bin. One with real composting worms that would possibly stave off any fly infestation. The city sells them, I'm considering the Wriggly Wranch.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?